Title: Senior Network Engineer
Location: United States-Illinois-Libertyville
Job Number: 130001FJ
Initial work will be in Libertyville, IL, with relocation to Chicago, IL in early 2014
Basic Qualifications - Years of Experience:
Scope of Responsibility/Expectation:
• Review, design, redesign, and stabilize the Motorola Mobility Production and Pre-Production Network configurations.
• Improve availability, reliability and stability of the Production and Pre-Production Networks (Dev, Q/A, Stage)
• Monitor and manage network capacity requirements to meet existing and future business requirements.• Improve interaction between the Data Center environment (network) and that of the corporate network in a secure way.
• Design, configure and administer routers, switches and load balancer's in a multi vendor, multi-data center environment.
• Work with Google, Carriers and Partners to establish BGP peering, White Listing etc.
• Research, spec out, drive for improvement in the area of Network monitoring and reporting. Up time, throughput availability etc.
• Configure and maintain network monitoring and measurement applications against the production environment. (Nagios, Cacti, ZenOS etc.)
• Produce performance documentation on network availability, throughput. Reporting on a regular basis to allow for capacity management.
• Work collaboratively with Engineering, Linux SysAdmins and DBA’s, driving for a solution for the problem not an owner.
• Participate in on-call rotation along with other members of the Network Engineering team in support of the production environment.
• Travel to and from data centers when required.
• Create and maintain Visio diagrams of the production network.
• Conduct performance tests on networking equipment from vendors and document results.
• Articulate network designs and configuration changes with peer network engineers. Documentation first, followed by implementation based on designs documented and reviewed.
• Configure and administer security devices such as firewalls and IDP appliances.
• Develop network automation scripts.
• Become a part of the team that drives for network stability, focusing on areas of weakness, re engineering solutions driving for continued improvement and stability.
• Excellent communication, verbal and written, with the ability to work with other organizations within Motorola and Google.
• Enthusiasm and flexibility to work on various projects with positive attitude.
• Experience supporting a large high volume network environment operating multiple data centers with extensive load balancing and firewalling experience.
• Strong experience with network monitoring tools and measurement tools using Netflow and Sflow, Cacti, ZenOS etc.
• Strong hands on experience troubleshooting network issues including routing, switching, firewalling and other network protocol problems.
• Deep experience working in a Unix/Linux based environment, including basic system administration knowledge. Able to script in various shells, perl etc a strong plus.
• History of working in a 24/7/365 support environments including on call rotation.
• History of design and implementation of load balancing solutions.
• Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously, including coordinating with outside vendors, within Motorola Mobility, Google and others, filing bugs, driving for patches etc.
• Team player thinks outside of the box. Drives for network stability by constant review of the existing environment.
• Strong troubleshooting skills at the protocol level.
• Strong Hands on, Working Knowledge in a production environment supporting Juniper, Fortinet and Cisco routers / switches and firewalls.
• Strong Load Balancer Experience; supporting their use in a production environment. F5 Load Balancers, creation of iRules etc.
• Strong working, hands on knowledge of network protocols - BGP, OSPF, HSRP, VRRP, Spanning Tree, DNS and IPSec.
• Highly motivated and quick learning.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Familiarity with Cisco IOS, JunOS, NetIron, F5 and Fortigate is an added plus
Job: Network Engineering